ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
R - 2008
B.E. ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING
EE2352 SOLID STATE DRIVESAIM
To study and understand the operation of electric drives controlled from a power electronic converter and to introduce the design concepts of controllers.
· To understand the stable steady-state operation and transient dynamics of a motor-load system.
· To study and analyze the operation of the converter / chopper fed dc drive and to solve simple problems.
· To study and understand the operation of both classical and modern induction motor drives.
· To understand the differences between synchronous motor drive and induction motor drive and to learn the basics of permanent magnet synchronous motor drives.
· To analyze and design the current and speed controllers for a closed loop solid-state DC motor drive and simulation using a software package
UNIT I DRIVE CHARACTERISTICS 9
Equations governing motor load dynamics - steady state stability - Multi quadrant dynamics - Acceleration, deceleration, starting and stopping - load torque characteristics of various drives.
UNIT II CONVERTER / CHOPPER FED DC MOTOR DRIVE 9
Steady state analysis of the single and three phase fully controlled converter fed separately excited D.C motor drive - Continuous and discontinuous conduction Time ratio and current limit control - 4 quadrant operation of converter.
UNIT III DESIGN OF CONTROLLERS FOR DRIVES 9
Transfer function for DC motor, load and converter – Closed loop control with current and speed feedback - Armature voltage control and field weakening mode control, Design of controllers: Current controller and speed controller - Converter selection and characteristics - Use of simulation software package.
UNIT IV INDUCTION MOTOR DRIVES 9
Stator voltage control – energy efficient drive - v/f control, constant air-gap flux – field weakening mode - voltage/current fed inverters - Block diagram of vector control - closed loop control.
UNIT V SYNCHRONOUS MOTOR DRIVES 9
V/f control and self-control of synchronous motor – Marginal angle control and power factor control
- Permanent magnet synchronous motor Black diagram of closed loop control.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
1. Gopal K.Dubey, “Power Semi conductor controlled drives “ Prentice Hall Inc., New Jersey 1989.
2. Bimal K. Bose. ‘Modern Power Electronics and AC Drives’, PHI / Pearson Education, 2002.
1. N.K.De and S.K.Sen Electrical Drices” PHI, 2006 9th print.
2. Murphy J.M.D. and Turnbull, “ Thyristor control of AC Motor” Pergamon Press Oxford 1988.
3. R. Krishnan, ‘Electric Motor & Drives Modeling, Analysis and Control’, Prentice Hall of India, 2001.